Welcome, and thank you for considering membership with AHEAD! With more than 2,500 members in 10 countries, AHEAD is the premier professional association committed to the full participation of persons with disabilities in postsecondary education. Please take a moment to review our wide array of membership categories and benefits. Once you have decided on the membership that is right for you, please download and complete a membership application (Downloadable PDF). Should you have any questions regarding your membership application, our categories or benefits, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Jane A. Johnston
Member Services Coordinator
- an administrator with oversight for programming for students with disabilities on your campus?
- a disability services staff member?
- an ADA Coordinator?
- a professor teaching a course on a disability-related topic?
- a graduate student preparing to work in the field of higher education?
- a secondary teacher, guidance counselor, or transition specialist?
- a parent of a student with a disability?
- an organization whose product/mission is related to the inclusion of students with disabilities in higher education?
- or simply someone who is interested in promoting the full participation of students with disabilities in higher education?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, AHEAD has the membership for you! Detailed information for each membership category can be found below.
Membership in AHEAD is on an annual basis following the calendar year, January 1 to December 31. Members who join during the last quarter of any calendar year will receive membership for the following year, in addition to the balance of the current year.
A Full Professional Member is an individual who is primarily employed by an institution of higher education or whose primary focus of work in their professional capacity involves working to enhance higher education opportunities and access for persons with disabilities. A Full Professional Member is entitled to one (1) vote, and is eligible to hold office.
Annual Membership Dues: $245.00
Annual Membership in Developing Countries: $25.00
Full Professional Members who live and work in a developing country (please click to download current list of qualifying countries) are eligible for a reduced annual rate.
An institution of postsecondary education that shall be represented by one (silver); three (gold); or five (platinum) Full Professional Member(s) designated by the institution. The designated Full Professional member(s) are each entitled to one (1) vote, and are eligible to hold office.
Institutional Silver - $295.00
Includes ONE Full Professional Member
Institutional Gold - $595.00
Includes THREE Full Professional Members
Institutional Platinum - $895.00
Includes FIVE Full Professional Members
An Institutional Member may appoint additional eligible individuals to Full Professional Membership in the Association at a reduced rate. Additional Professional Members are entitled to one (1) vote, and are eligible to hold office.
Annual Membership Dues: $175.00
Pre-professional Membership is designed exclusively for individuals whose primary involvement with higher education is that of currently being enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate program that prepares students for professional work that would enhance postsecondary opportunities and access for persons with disabilities. A Pre-professional Member is not entitled to vote or hold office.
Annual Membership Dues: $95.00
An Emeritus Member (can or may?) be any former Active Professional member, designated Institutional or Additional Professional AHEAD member who is currently retired and not employed on a full-time basis. This member is entitled to one (1) vote and is eligible to hold office.
Annual Membership Dues: $95.00
A Partner Member shall be any for-profit or not-for-profit organization who, by nature of their product/service or mission, is directly or indirectly involved with issues related to the inclusion of students with disabilities in higher education. Represented by up to two individuals from the organization who are not eligible to vote or hold office, but are eligible for all member benefits as outlined on the membership benefits section of this site.
Annual Membership Not-for-Profit Dues: $395.00
Annual Membership For-profit Dues: $695.00
An Associate Member is any individual who is not primarily employed by an institution of higher education, but who has interest in, or is professionally active in working to promote, the full participation of students with disabilities in higher education. Associate Members are not eligible to vote or hold office, but are eligible for all member benefits as outlined on the membership benefits section of this site.
Annual Membership Dues: $175.00
AHEAD values its members, and we are pleased to offer a wide array of valuable and pertinent benefits that are only available to members. Some of our key benefits of membership include:
- *New for 2011* Exclusive access to searchable Jossey-Bass/Wiley Law Database which includes over 5600 legal cases, OCR rulings, and letter of findings in the context of disability and postsecondary education
- Unlimited professional information and referral services
- Membership in AHEAD "members only" discussion lists & bulletin boards
- Eligibility to apply for scholarships, professional development funding, and focused initiative funding provided by AHEAD
- Exclusive access to the AHEAD Membership Directory
- Unlimited access to "Members Only" web resources including the AHEAD career center, DSS toolkit, topical webographies, and current and archived online full-text versions of the Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability
- Membership in up to three Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
- Subscription to the Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability and the ALERT (bi-monthly newsletter)
- Discounts on publications, workshops, institutes, & conferences
- And many more...
Benefits of membership vary by category, so please refer to the chart below for a summary of benefits related to each membership category.
|Full Prof.||Silver||Gold||Platinum||Partner||Associate||Pre Prof.||Emeritus||Additional Prof|
|Number of named members included:||1||1||3||5||2||1||1||1||1|
|Eligible to appoint unlimited Additional Full Professional Members at 25%+ discount||*||*||*|
|Unlimited professional, information, and referral services||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|Access to "Members Only" listservs and internet resources including searchable Law Database*, Career Center and DSS toolkit||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|Membership in up to three Special Interest Groups (SIGs)||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|Subscription to the Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability and ALERT (AHEAD's newsletter)||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|Real time Membership Directory Access||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|Complimentary annual mailing list of members||*|
|Eligible for scholarships and initiative funding||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|30%+ discounts on all conferences, publications, and professional development offerings||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|50% discount on all on-site consultation or presentation services||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|Significant discounts on services and opportunites through partner organizations||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|20% discount on all rates for marketing and advertising||*|
|Member-level discounts extended to ALL employees at the member institution||*||*||*|
|Eligible for awards and recognition||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||*|
|Eligible to vote and hold office||*||*||*||*||*||*|